Saturday, September 15, 2007

Happy Birthday!

Ok. I realize I'm a little late on this one, but Emily turned 9 last week. She decided to have a Chuck E. Cheese party. I thought maybe she was getting a little old for it, but after reviewing all of our party options, she looked at me with her hands on her hips and said, "Mom, everybody loves Chuck E. Cheese!" Yeah, I guess. Who can pass up a game of Skee Ball or Whack-a-Mole? Anyway, here are a few pics from her party.

As you can see, she is still completely enamored with horses and was thrilled with her birthday cake! It was a surprise, and no, I did not bake it. (That would have been the real surprise.)


This is a picture of Elyse and Wyatt, who were so enthralled with Chuck E. that they could hardly eat their pizza. Note Wyatt's balled-up fists. I guess he was getting ready in case the big mouse got too close. Elyse is the little sister of Emily's friends, Ashleigh and Jordan, and she and Wyatt have a very interesting relationship. They are church nursery buddies, depending on the day. They can be so sweet one minute, and then 'throw down' like siblings the next. I must say, though, that my money's on Elyse. Wyatt usually just hands over the source of conflict unless he's feelin' spunky. They are so cute and funny.

These are a few of Emily's friends who were able to attend the party: Jalyn, Veronica, Jordan, Julia, The Birthday Girl and Ashleigh. Emily's brothers (all of them) were also in attendance. Ryan, who is no longer impressed with Chuck E. Cheese, except for pizza and a mound of tokens, steered clear of the camera for most of the night and hung out with one of the other big brothers who was there. Elijah couldn't care less but seemed a little stressed out, maybe from the noise or from the biggest mouse he's ever seen, and spent the evening spitting up, alternating between Jay's clean shirt and mine.

Here's a picture of Chuck E. himself, doing the Birthday dance. I gotta add that Wyatt kept yelling, "Micka Mouse! There's Micka Mouse!" I think it's hysterical, but I'm not sure the teenage boy in the suit thought it was quite as funny. I guess to Wyatt, a mouse is a mouse, and they are all named Micka Mouse or Mimi Mouse (what he calls Mickey & Minnie).

This is Emily with her new Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus CD, which in addition to High School Musical and HSM2, is the new obsession. And I'm sad to report that I know way too many words to these songs. No, Emily's eyes have not changed color. The red-eye fix really did a number, didn't it? They are still a beautiful blue/gray like her Dad's and very sparkly, especially when she's up to something.

All in all, I think Emily had a good birthday, and since it was on Labor Day, it turned into several days of "partying." It's hard to believe how quickly they grow up. Being 9 is a good age, I think. It's o.k. to be between baby dolls and Barbies, karaoke and the latest "tween" sensations...and it's the last year of single digits.

The next few years should be interesting as we enter the pre-teen and teen years. Jay says that when the hormones hit, he might just move out. He knows that's not a viable option unless he takes half the kids, half the pets, half the laundry...you get the idea. Personally I think that even if he tries to "lay low" that he'll be lurking in the bushes with a big bat should any little boys who think they know it all happen to ring our doorbell or, God forbid, pull into the driveway and honk...that's another post entirely, and maybe we'll venture there one day. However, I do know that he's thankful to only have to "protect" one daughter, and is of the mindset that boys can better fend for themselves. I used to think so, but times are different. I've seen some girls that are way-scarier than most boys I have encountered so far. And being the mom to three sons, I realize that one day that means three daughters-in-law...again, another post. I only pray they choose well, and possibly run a back-ground check.


3 comments:

kirsten said...

Should I just post a picture of the box I still haven't mailed to you guys? So, I'm thinking arranged marriage. At least that will cover 2 of yours...we're done with the kid department so you'll have to take care of the other in-laws yourself. WE MISS YOU!

Sam said...

Awsome pics and comments Love you guys..Love Sam

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! How big are they! Can those really be all my little 4-5 year olds???