Wednesday, June 18, 2008

13-10-3-1

No, these are not lottery numbers. They are the ages my kids turn this year on their birthdays. One down so far. The baby.


When I thought about their birthdays and their ages, it occurred to me that this is a significant year for them all.


Elijah celebrated his first birthday in April, and you know first birthdays...they are milestones and pretty darn special. The dramatic changes that happen during that first year are incredible. Our little ones go from soft bundles, totally dependent on us for everything, to little individuals who are trying to walk and talk and find their own way in this big world. All in one year! Amazing!


And the other obvious milestone, as far as birthdays go, is Ryan who becomes a teenager in August. A teenager. I have to say that out loud to myself, and yet it still hasn't become the reality that I know it quickly will. I don't know where the time has gone, and it rocks me to the core that the scale of time has shifted, and we have far less time left with him at home than that which we've already shared. Sad and scary.


Emily will turn "double digits" in September, and while this may not seem like a milestone to some, let me assure you, IT IS. Especially to the dramatic, mostly sweet, eye-rolling, bossy big sister, whiny little sister, part tom-boy, part girlie-girl, all "tween" gal that is my daughter. Wow! The next few years are going to be a ride. I can only hope we both live through it and come out friends on the other side.


And lastly, Wyatt will turn three on Saturday. How is that a milestone, you ask? Because something happens between two and three. Our toddlers turn into preschoolers. They are no longer "babies." Sure, they still act like them sometimes, but they are using the potty and speaking with ever-increasing clarity and purpose. They are just plainly growing up. So, yeah, three is a milestone, too.


Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic hormonal sentimental, but I found it interesting that so many milestones landed squarely in the same year. Granted, some of the changes will be felt more than others, but I am still humbled by it all. As Jay has pointed out on more than one occasion, we have set ourselves up to run the parental gamut for a good long time to come. After dropping off a kid for youth camp this morning, I'll be dropping one off in the nursery come Sunday morning.


*sigh*


By the way, should any of you actually play those numbers and win, YOU OWE ME!


At least half.

7 comments:

Misty Burns said...

wow, that is awesome. I remember Ryan when he was a baby. I was graduating high school! I am so not ready for teenagers. Abigail reminds me all the time that she is getting closer to becoming a teenager. sigh!!!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I can totally see the significance in those ages. I feel the same way about age three and one. I have yet to experience the other two... Hopefully the years between now and then will move slowly.

My parents did the parenting gamut thing too. I was 9 when my youngest brother was born. My mom said she had a small non-school age child at home for 15 years. That is a long time to be the main playmate!

-Andrea

RichFam said...

Wow. I can't believe it. It's always hard to imagine how much the kids are growing when we are not close enough to see them all in person.

In our family, in January Austin turned 13 and Hannah, our baby, turned 1. Ben turned 4 in April and I began (reluctantly, I might add because I wasn't ready for him to grow up yet) homeschooling him with Rebekah, who will be 8 in December. Shocking that I have children that old!

I suppose one blessing will be that when little Hannah is old enough to leave our "nest", we will most likely have grandchildren to fill the "emptyness" of the "empty nest". Perhaps that's God's way of easing the transition.

Congratulations on the many milestones... and may you have many more blessings to come!

In Christ,
Michelle Richardson <><

Anonymous said...

Milestones are awesome!!!! Just one more year and Elijah gets to move up to "big brother's" class at church :)

Jen said...

Ryan is a yout???? Oh my, where has the time gone? I am just amazed. We're not even going to talk about Emily from my 4-5 year old class...wasn't that just yesterday???

Kristy said...

I know what you mean. Although you had to "outdo" me by one kid, our others are pretty much on target. Jalyn still has some time to go to get to the "double digits" (March), she'll be there soon enough. And like you said, I do pray that we get through those years and are friends on the other side. At times, I feel like I was a teenager just a couple of years ago (Ha), and to be having one soon is just "WOW!" It makes me realize even more, that time goes by so fast.

Shannon said...

Aww Bronie! What a great year this will be! Love the way you look at things ( : I chuckled at your description of your daughter- I think I have her seperated-at-birth twin in my double digit daughter!