ahem
Now before my male readership starts calling Jay to congratulate him and gives him 'atta boys' and slaps him high-fives, or worse, gets his hopes up, perhaps I should explain.
Jay has always had a fair amount of pain in his lower back from an old injury which in itself would make a great post. But it's his story to tell...not mine. Anyway, most beds are just not comfortable for him, and he has a hard time getting a good night's sleep.
That being said, a few months ago, in an attempt to alleviate his discomfort, we gave away a perfectly good, relatively new pillow-top mattress set,

For those of you who don't recognize it, it's a Tempur-Pedic "Sleep System."
Because we're fancy.
And that picture...In the cave? It looks relaxing, doesn't it?
I found it quite interesting, and actually truth in advertising, that they photographed this bed surrounded by rock since that is indeed how heavy this slab of foam is and what the mattress feels like when you schlep it home.
You see, the ads brag about the unparallelled "support" of this memory foam stuff and tell you several things "disclaimer-style" in their pitch like:
1) may be very firm at first...you have to break it in
2) may have a "slight chemical smell" for the first few weeks
That's pretty much what they tell you some folks may consider 'negatives' when purchasing the "last mattress you'll ever buy."
Now, don't get me wrong. The "firmness" that the sales people readily try to explain is not really my issue with our new "sleep system." Because truth be told, I am so darn tired by the time I go to bed, I could probably sleep on a slab of actual bedrock in that cave pictured above. So that is not my problem.
With names like "Grand, BellaSonna, Allura, Celebrity, Rhapsody, Prima, Deluxe, Classic, and Symphony" it's no wonder I had no idea what we were actually getting into when we
I personally think these fancy "sleep systems" should bear names like: Broiling BellaSonna, Ardent Allura, Raging Rhapsody, Searing Celebrity, or Sizzling Symphony.
Now that would be truth in advertising.
And you wanna know why?
Because this bed conjures up heat better than my crock pot. And frankly, on any given night, should you crave a midnight snack, you could probably cook up a grilled cheese or fry up an egg right on my side.
Ohmylordybe! The heat! It is hot!
There is no respite from this raging inferno that has become my bed. The only relief is if the other side is empty and you can flop your broiling behind onto it and hear the "ssss" when your fiery flesh meets the welcome cool of the vacant griddle.
Jay has been out of town this week, and my sleep has resembled a rotisserie. The only positive thing I can think of about being cooked while you sleep is that meat shrinks when it cooks, right?
I think I'll just sprinkle myself with a little seasoning salt tonight before bed with hopes of waking up to a size 6 in the morning.
shake shake shake
Good night.
And wish me luck.

15 comments:
Bronie, I laughed till I had tears coming out!
Oh my gosh! What are ya'll going to do during these tortuously hot summer months?
That is just so crazy!
You better spend the rest of the college fund and get some silk sheets (or the fake stuff will do). Maybe they will make it a little cooler - or at least easier to slide to the other side!
Is it supposed to be hot?? Yikes! We have a foam mattress (to make our hard beds softer)... and it's hard as a ROCK! I was miserable in it when I was preggers!! I hope your bed "breaks in" soon :) Maybe then it will de-heat :) So is it helping Jay?
That picture in the cave cracks me up!!!!
And what's up with the chemical smell?? What's that all about!
Well, on the plus side...
it will definitely cut down on the heating bill in the winter...
and cut down on the amount of laundry you will have to wash because it is too hot to wear anything...
which, in turn, will very likely lead to... well...
a very happy husband.
ahem, ahem
Wow.
(Note to self: delete mental pic of old youth minister.)
girl that is so crazy!!! i can not sleep in a hot bed!!! oh my!!! you better invest in some good fans!! hahaha. hope things get better soon
Girl u are too funny. I have missed reading ur blog. I love the way u tell a story. We have looked vat those im glad we didnt buy one now. :)
George and I have the Rapsody one (or however you spell it) We love it!!! This one pulls the heat away from you so it's not bad at all. I will tell you our sales person told us to make sure we got Sateen sheets or cotten sheets. I LOVE our bed!!!!
where do i start?...oh my, the endless sarcasm that could fill this little comment section.
who needs a college fund anyway, we're saving for therapy. at least they can get a scholarship...
:) i'm sure jay will love this post, glad i got to read it before he told you to edit.
Bronie, I have had experience in the family with the Temper Pedic. I told Ray not to even talk to me about one!
there is no place for the heat to go except into your body!
My suggestion would be to try a couple of airy mattress pads on top of a comforter under that. Put cool cotton sheets on top of that..
I thought those things came with a summer topper you could put on.....You are really funny but I feel your pain!!!
....ha ha ha...I can't stop laughing on this one. Too funny!! The mental picture alone...We have been looking into getting one of those systems but may think again. The heat may help Jay's back, huh?
I have heard those things were hot. I guess it would save on the heating bills in the winter time. In the summer time I don't know, I guess you could always sleep naked!!! Then your title would be true in more ways than one (LOL)!
Yikes! That's nice to know! YOu guys just crack me up...
Sleeping in a cave is always what think of when I envision total relaxation. And you don't?
My parents have this bed also, and my mom went through the frying at night thing. I think she got a cotton mattress cover and used cotton sheets. I'm pretty sure that took care of the problem.
Sweet dreams!
(Hey, if that size 6 thing works out for you, let me know!!)
-Andrea
Wow, so after 16 years on the same mattress set - HWH and I are looking into buying a new mattress. It doesn't sound like this is one to look at - thanks for the info!
Ummm, uh, well, uhhh... I have no comment. I gotta go, I smell something cooking:)
I sure and heck know when I am not sleeping in my sleep system because I have slept away from my little sleep system and let me tell ya, I wake up with achs and pains all over my body. My pinky toe hurts if I am not in my sleep system.... I love my bed "hur-d- hur" that is funny stuff. "Frio Frjolis bat man"
Post a Comment