It's the middle of September and cooler than normal for this time of year. At least this week. Usually, it is hot enough to feel as if it's still summer, but yesterday felt different.
I took Wyatt outside to play, not because I was being "nice Mommy" but because he had been asking me ever since we returned home from the park, where we were, you know, outside. The big kids are participating in Presidential Fitness with a bunch of other homeschoolers, but I guess he just didn't get it out of his system while we were there.
I put Elijah down for a nap, and even though I should have been making something for dinner, I decided to just take him out. It seemed easier, and frankly, I wasn't up for a fight.
Wyatt was happy to be out, and I tried to get through a few more pages of a John Irving novel that I had to renew at the library on my way home. Between evacuating, being sick, and starting school, I just haven't been able to sit down with a book, at least one without pictures, for any length of time. And stay awake, that is.
Anyway, as I sat outside, the air cool and the sky cloudy, this feeling of anxiety washed over me. I don't really even know how to explain it. The cool air and the not-so-sunny sky brought about a feeling of dread? I'm not sure that's right.
We used to live in a state with actual seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter, not just "hurricane season" and "not hurricane season." And while spring is probably my favorite because of the newness of it all, I love autumn. I really do. The crisp air and the changing of the leaves... it's beautiful. And sweaters, jeans and boots? Yeah, I like that too. But I think this feeling in me that I can't quite put my finger on may have more to do with the fact that soon it will be getting dark very early. I don't like it at all. I don't like that it's dark before dinner even hits the table and that the evenings and nights seem unending. I don't like the chill in the house. I don't like how it makes me feel.
It's not like I don't have enough to keep me busy. I mean, really, I have four kids, a husband, a household to run; I'm homeschooling, chauffeuring kids to and from activities, singing in the band at church, doing the women's bible study... I have stuff to do. But I find myself having to dig in my heels to try and shake away this fog that seems to want to swallow me whole. And it's all because of a slight "chill" in the air?
Call me crazy. You won't be the first.
I came back inside and made dinner, and the evening went on pretty much as usual for our house, but the fog? I woke up with it again this morning. We didn't have anywhere to be today, but I have found myself more than once standing outside, just to feel the end of summer sun on my untanned skin and the breeze on my face. I feel antsy and distracted. I have papers to grade and lesson plans to write, yet my inability to focus keeps me from doing the very things that I am certain would be a distraction from this "cloud" that I feel is hovering over me. It's a vicious cycle, no?
Yes, I have tried praying, and it reminds me of a song that a friend wrote that says something like this:
I think I'm losing my mind, 'cause every time that I pray, my mind wanders away, and I'm starting over and over again...
Maybe I need a good night's sleep and another Sudafed. Something's gotta give. I feel yucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
We missed you Sunday! I hope you really start to feel better! At least it's not humid AND you are sick - that's no fun - you can't even go outside to get away when it's like that!
I'm right there with ya girl! I have been in a fog for the last couple of weeks and it only seems to be getting worse. Let's make a pack; you pray for me and I'll pray for you! I have lost my zest, I don't want to do anything I don't have to. I'm not even enjoying food anymore, whats up with that!
Ahhh...yucky! I think the only thing that gets me through those times is cutting myself a break for a little while. Then I get a second wind (usually at 9 pm), work myself to the bone and into the wee hours of the morning, and wake up grumpy the next day. But alas, His mercies are new every morning! Thanks for being honest. I love you girl!
girl....go get a massage, pedicure, or something to make you feel better! got to get out of that funk! hope you feel better soon!
Been there done that still there. I think the devil really tries to get us there. I have even considered going to counseling because some times mine is so bad. Sometimes its just all the pressure we have on us. I love my family but sometimes I just want to run away. I will pray for you because I know exactly how u feel. Its no fun to be in that season. Love ya Ape
are you crazy? your first problem....do you have any idea how nutso that guy is who wrote that song!?!
right there with ya, wish you were here...i don't want to help you grade papers but i could use the free therapy and i have something stronger than sudafed i would love to share...
bff. (if you're not already over the edge...that should do it.)
I've felt the same thing. Even though I LOVE Autumn and cooler weather and I've been keeping my windows open all day . . . I end up feeling kind of, I don't know, almost morose. And it doesn't make sense.
Then again, everyone I know is kind of adjusting to the new weather, even the cat is more lovey. So maybe the temperature drop causes a chemical reaction in the brain and . . . yeah. I have no clue. But at least you're not the only one!
You are definitely not alone in this! For some reason, I get this way every autumn... every time. And autumn IS my favorite season. Go figure.
Maybe it is all due to the gloominess of the season. It gets dark sooner, stays dark longer, and causes us to get into a "dark" kind of mood. Who knows?
Just know you have tons of like-minded, foggy-feeling friends out there, too! And we all love you!
By the way, I agree with Kirsten. That songwriter??? Definitely crazy. Ha ha. :o)
I understand girl! I'm there with ya. Maybe it is something in the air. I can't quite put my finger on it but I sure wish I could shake it. I wish I was close by so we could just spend the day together and share the fog! :) That would be nice! I miss you guys! I hope this is a much better week and the clouds break to some sunshine for ya. I love ya girl!
Poor Bronie - I'm sorry you are feeling in the "fog". I love Autumn so much (read my new post today), but don't like it getting darker earlier - which until I read your post - I had forgotten about. Just try to think of being cozy in the house, hot chocolate, Thanksgiving and such. I know, me telling you what may cheer you up probably won't - but knowing that we all know what the "fog" feels like may comfort you. Nobody likes that feeling.
Um Bronie,
You have been Meme'd
Post a Comment