The kids and I frequently watch a t.v. show together during lunch while we break from school. It is usually something like "7th Heaven" or "Little House on the Prairie."
Today we watched an episode of "7th Heaven" in which the tragedies in Darfur were discussed. It was a show about awareness and "oneness" in the world... how "their" problems are "our" problems. The question that was posed: "What can we do to make a difference?"
The eight year old twins in the show decided to send all the money they'd been saving to help buy food. They then phoned Nicodemus, one of "The Lost Boys" they had previously met, and told him of their wish to donate their savings. He promised to wire the money to his friend who still lives in southern Darfur who would then deliver the money to the area in which it is most needed.
When the friend arrived at Western Union to pick up the wire, the employee looked down at the envelope and said, "Nicodemus wanted me to ask you a question: What is your brother's name?"
To which the friend replied with a smile, "EVERY MAN!"
I, tearfully caught up in the moment, naively thought this could be a great opportunity to talk to the kids, to help shape their world view. To ask them: Are we our brother's keeper? Do we really know how blessed we are to have been born in this country? Are we really aware that a majority of the world does not live like us? What can we do to help people who are suffering?
Before I could pose my question, my precious (though sometimes naive and a little ditzy) daughter said, "Everyman. Well, that's a weird name." And got up and walked out of the room.
... insert screechy record needle sound here...
Picture sneer and eye roll from her big brother.
Me: ...
I realized any attempt at the "abstract" had just been lost in the literal.
Bless her heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sounds exactly like something Jalyn would have said!
Take heart, "teachable moments" don't always coincide with commercial breaks. Think "percolate, percolate"...you never know when a thought will bubble up later for discussion.
Connie
HA HA HA HA!!!
Poor E. I can soooo relate to her. I am sure you can remember when I was her age. I was a teensy on the "ditsy" side myself. (no side comments, needed, Mr. Victory).
On the plus side, much of the negative worldly stuff will go right over her head (bless her heart),
and eventually she will grow out of it... like I did. (again, no comments needed, JAY).
tee hee :o)
awe...she is so pretty.and on the bright side, she has a very caring personality...I dont think you will have to "teach" her that. it just comes naturally. how awesome!
haha! I feel ya! South Asians are very literal people and even some Bible stories are very lost on them. Cute story :)
Post a Comment