Anyway, back to this week.
When I gave birth to "Baby No-Mo" two years ago, I envisioned his arrival as the proverbial icing. A perfectly delicious way to end this "season" of our lives. I mean, look at him. YUMMY!

He was the sweetest baby ever... you know, just sort of glad to be here, along for the ride at times, docile and happy-go-lucky.
His entrance into our family life was a seamless transition. He loved his siblings, and they loved him.
He was truly a joy to be around.
THEN HE TURNED 2!
He can now frequently be found (read: constantly) doing something he is not supposed to be doing.
For example:
Drinking the bath water. Gross. Just gross.
Foraging in the yard. I have no idea what is in his mouth. I pray it is not poisonous but that it tastes bad. That will be his only deterrent.
Drawing on himself with markers. Apparently it's way more fun than paper.
Climbing into and upon everything that is stationary.
Do you notice who is in the background watching this take place? Oh yeah. But he is not always the ringleader, we have found. And this particular episode has forced me to lock the bathroom doors to keep him out. If you need to potty at my house, you better plan ahead. We have to find the key.
But alas, this week, the littles discovered yet another new and creative way to send their already near the edge mother one slippery step closer to her inevitable destination. Let me explain.
The big kids and I were finishing lunch and a video, and the mini-marauders asked to wash their hands and faces. Somewhat skeptical but not wishing to clean mystery stains off the couch, I allowed them access to the bathroom sink nearest the den so I could keep an eye on them. They appeared to be doing a good job and no one was actually IN the sink so I allowed a longer than normal hand-washing session to occur.
It's all a blur how it happened really. You see, as I cleared the lunch mess and quickly straightened the kitchen, I no longer heard water running and assumed they were all done and had come back to the den to finish watching the video before nap time.
Heh.
A few moments passed and I realized they were not in fact where I thought they were and that the bathroom door was closed. That, my friends, is never a good sign.
They had closed the bathroom door leading to the den, only to exit through the other door into their sister's room. When we opened the door, this is what we found.
Oh yes. That is an entire container of powder that was on top of the changing table behind two brand new packs of diapers. IT WAS NOT EVEN VISIBLE!!!!!
Me: (breathe) 1-2-3-4... (breathe) WHAT... (breathe *cough* *cough*) ARE YOU DOING?!
W: Makin' snow angels. 'Wijah' wanted to.
E: unintelligible gibberish... SNOW... jabber jabber... WYATT!
Me: ...
After a little reluctant help from the big kids, we got the littles showered, dressed and down for a nap with little to no complaint (probably because they saw my eye twitching and didn't want to press their luck) and most of the mess dusted, swept, swiffered and mopped up.
I then flopped onto the couch for a moment of solitude I like to call "sit and stare" while I contemplated the meaning of life and the uselessness of powder. Emily's room still smells "powder fresh" which in case you don't know is highly overrated.

9 comments:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally relate to the "nothing-good-can-happen-with-the-doors-closed" thing. We have a strict "open door" policy... meaning, the doors are to remain opened at ALL times.
You poor thing. It's been a rough week for us, too. The younglings have completely lost their minds. Sorry for your mess, but I am glad to know I am not alone!!! Ha ha ha. :o)
oh my goodness!!!! hahahahaha. yep i have said this before...you have your hands FULL!!! good luck with that! :) i am done with school for the summer if ya want to get together for sanity's sake! :)
Phew I'm so happy that didn't happen on my watch!!!! But I have to say I sat here *at my desk at work* just laughing with my mouth dropped to the ground!!!!! WAY TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!
Again, you crack me up! This was a favorite thing for Jacob to do at that age. I once found him in his room with a bottle of baby powder - he had shaken it on EVERYTHING in his room (not so much on the floor - as yours did - as we had carpet). But it looked like a fresh dusting of snow had fallen on every toy and object in his room.
But they are sooo cute!!! (When they are someone else's children!)
When I saw the picture of Ryan and Elijah wrapped in a blanket I had a momentary disconnect before realizing Hey! I know that blanket!!!!
Freak me out, Bronie.
Happpeeeee Mothers Day!
I know Emily was impressed!
A picture is worth a thousand words!
Lol. Yes you did make me smile. It's hard for me to believe that the two precious, obedient little boys I saw on Thursday were actually capable of this mess:-) That being said, there's a reason none of my kids ever got powdered:-) I guess I've got to go and consider myself lucky on this one.
You have to forgive me for laughing ALOT at this. It's along the line of misery loves company thing. :) And it is dang cute...mainly because this time it didn't happen to me.
Hey, I do the "sit and stare" frequently. A mix of exhaustion and disbelief.
OH my hanna! my blood pressure just shot up in sympathy for you. Bless your heart. Okay but in hind sight you do have to laugh now. Even though at that moment I totally would have lost my relion and yea! It wouldn't have been pretty. I'm feelin ya! I love that you guys call them "the littles." That's too cute. They are some kind of trouble. I'm feelin ya on the two year old thing. What happened to our sweet babies, huh? It's like they were taken by aliens. Either that or I've just gotten too old...I'm tired!
Post a Comment