Thursday, September 11, 2008

hurricane season and hoovers

... things that, you know, suck.


Many of you have wondered and inquired about our whereabouts and well-being. We are home now. For a week. Trying to catch up and get crack-a-lackin' on school. We evacuated for Gustav. Well, not exactly. We were already out of town, so we stayed that way. Except Jay, who sporting the y-chromosome and all, felt the need to come home and board up windows and tether things that might otherwise blow away.


We just passed the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which made people once again wonder why in the world we moved back down here. Out of the flood zone, mind you, but still close enough to the coast to share in the insanity that is hurricane season. And well, I can only tell you that the safest place we could possibly be is the center of God's will, which is where we try to reside.


That being said, we all really have to take some responsibility for where we live, don't we? I mean, if you live on (or near) a fault line, you can probably expect at some point for the earth to move under your feet. And if you live in a low-lying area, you can probably expect flash-flooding during heavy rains. If you live in the midwest (in one of those flat states) you can most likely count on channeling Dorothy and running for cover with Toto under your arm. And like us, if you live near the coast, you must realize that a hurricane (or three) might set its sights on you, and you will probably at some point have to evacuate or board up and ride it out if it is not a major storm. I am a member of the "board up and get the heck out" club because even though we have moved away from the possibility of a major storm surge, we are surrounded by ginormous trees, and I am not a fan of tropical storm force winds or rain-wrapped tornadoes dropping randomly from the sky. Just sayin'.


Gustav only blew down a few limbs in the yard and killed the power for a couple of days. We're praying our friends in Texas fare well during Ike.


We're fine, just busy. I'll leave you with a conversation from W because that little guy, I'm telling you, is giving us a run for our money. Oh, wait, I have to brag for a second. He's been playing (and winning) a game on-line since the spring that I read tonight is for ages 4-6. Who knew? I personally think he's too smart for our own good.


Anyway, back to the conversation.



shoving her brother out of the way

E: MOOOOOVE Wyatt!!!!!



Me: Emily, you should say "excuse me."



W: Yeah, Emmawee, you should use your good mannuhs. You say "skewz me" and "yes ma'am" and "no thank you" and...



very sarcastically interrupting the manners for midgets... complete with eye roll

E: Excuse me, Wyatt.



W: You needa say your good mannuhs. Not stupid stuff.



'Nuff said.

13 comments:

Kristy said...

That is so funny - Not stupid stuff! I love the part you said about the safest place we could possibly be is in the center of God's will, and residing there. Very good point!

Bridgett said...

Glad to see you back online! We were worried.

The growing Adkinson family said...

Hey Im glad to hear u guys are ok and ur house is ok.I was wondering where u guys were. Glad to hear from u. Ape

Misty said...

I'm so happy to hear from ya! I was worring about you guys. I'm glad you faired well. That's always the very best place to be! (center of God's will) He is too cute. He sounds like a riot! Love ya girl!

Anonymous said...

W just cracks me up! He says the cutest things! We are on an island right now as the neighbors yard debris floats by!

Misty Burns said...

girl, i'm with you. we evacuated gustav..cause me without power for a week..is not a pretty sight. oh and there's that we gotta 7 month old now!!! so we left. needless to say Mike stayed (4 a while) then came up to visit us in tn when gustav looked like a 4. Anyway, he came back and i stayed till we had some power. which was 4 days later! anyway..glad to be back. and about your son wyatt..i'll be prayin for ya..that's all i have to say about that!! hahaha. too precious!

RichFam said...

Yay! You're back! And you didn't get blown away with the storm! Woo Hoo!
Glad everyone is safe. :o)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

So glad you are all doing well and you are right we all have areas of concern with where we live. You little one is too cute!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Keep us updated!!

Jen said...

While W may have been one of the last of the Victory's born...I do believe he won't feel the need to 'catch up' to his big bro. and sister. He just might surpass them. :)

kirsten said...

not sure the hurricane said "excuse me"...still hoping the wind is strong enough to knock some sense into jay - or blow you closer to us. :)

Nicole said...

As usual, you provide the morning laughter. Yes, you have your hands full...of God's blessings. :)

Shannon said...

Hey there- Glad to hear you're all fine!

I related to the 'living in God's will' statement a lot. I had such a hard time adjusting for the first year that we moved out West- away from all my family and friends and history, etc.

But, the word I felt God spoke to me when I finally did come around ( : was that no place on this earth was my 'home' and that I needed to get rid of that notion. Anywhere God sent my husband for work was where I needed to make my 'temporary' home and look for ways to do His will.

You're a wise woman- not that comes as any surprise- it might be where W gets his smarts ( :

Take care~
Shannon