Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I love these feet!


There's just something about his chubby little 'foots' that I love. After changing a diaper today, I was kissing and tickling his feet, listening to him giggle, and I was suddenly carried away by my thoughts.

I began to think of how he loves mostly to go barefoot around the house because he likes to be able to see his "toesies." But how on occasion he wants to wear his socks because he enjoys sliding on the floors, and will squeal, "Wook at me. I'm 'skatering.'"

I then thought about how quickly he has grown from that tiny newborn foot that could barely hold a sock to a very active toddler who loves to jump and dance and twirl to any music that finds its way to his ears. He's almost helpless to sit still when the music starts. It transports him to his own little world. We just stand back and watch. And enjoy.

I thought about all the places that his feet will one day take him. How sometimes the path will be stony and rough, and the journey will require extra effort. And that there will be thorny patches when he will have to determine in his heart if the destination is worth the pain the journey will cause. Times of running through tall grass (probably in our yard) and carefree jumping into puddles.

Before I even realized it, my thoughts had turned into a prayer for him, that God would make a way for this child of mine. That He would even now be carving a way through the rocky roads of his future, that He would make the grass a little greener and would teach him how to rise above the muck and the mire that this world is so full of by teaching him to set his feet on a rock. The Rock.

My heart felt so heavy for the few short moments that I had been carried away by my thoughts. But as I poured out my heart to God, I was comforted by His astoundingly great love for us. This scripture came to mind. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) I love how The Message says "I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out--plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." WOW! I just love that God has it all worked out already. I can stop worrying. I know as a parent we can't choose the path our kids will follow, but hopefully we lead by an example worthy to be followed. Follow me as I follow Christ...

Amen.

8 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

How cool! That was an awesome post :) I love feet :)

Christie said...

Thanks for that post. Baby and toddler feet are my favorite too. Oh the places you'll go...

Michelle said...

Bronie,

I am not sure how to tell you what you did today.

I know your thoughts were on your beautiful son (I used to love to bite the kids big toes), but what you did for me is something I feel I must share with you.

I was laid off right after Christmas and I have been feeling desperate about not being able to find another job. I was feeling alone and scared.

I don't read your blog all the time, but something drew me here today.

You gave me exactly what I needed. A good swift kick in the teeth, that God does have a plan for me, that he will take care of me and my family and that I should not fear.

Thank you.

Nicole said...

Amen!

Bronie said...

Michelle, I just emailed you. I'm glad you stopped by.

Misty Burns said...

yeah, those feet are cute now. Just wait until they are five years old, and you still can't find shoes to fit. hahahah. just kidding. i love those big feet.

carrie said...

AWWW!! I love little feeties too!!

I *found* you agreeing with me on Melody's page ;) so I thought I'd pay you a visit and man oh man I'm glad I did...This is a great post. God really does work it all out for us and He cares for us. I needed some reinforcement too...there are a lot of things coming against my hubby and I right now...Thank you my new friend ;)

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

What an awesome prayer! I find myself praying that type of prayer over my children so often.... that my example would propel them toward Christ.

oh, do I need grace though!

Love the baby feet!