Thursday, January 31, 2008

i want a do-over

clock

I can't believe that January is almost over already. Where in the world did a whole month go? I have absolutely nothing to show for it except for some packed boxes, a couple of really cool souvenirs that my husband brought back for me from Haiti, a dandy new "Puffin' Penguin" nebulizer that the baby needed for his RSV, the extra pounds from the holidays, and oh yeah, approximately 47 newly sprouted gray hairs. Yeah. Peachy, ain't it? Maybe I have more to show for it than I thought. Just ask my jeans.

I think I have the mid-winter blahs. It's almost like buyer's remorse for the new year. That's weird, isn't it? It's not like you can take it back for a refund.

"Excuse me. This new year isn't quite fitting right and so far has not been what I expected at all. I'd like to exchange it for a shiny, new 2008 that hasn't been opened yet. And can you backdate that receipt? And make it snappy. I've lost 31 days already."

I guess I just thought the new year would start in the "new" house and we'd be all moved in, settling back into our daily routine. Yep, shiny happy people we'd be. And then when things didn't unfold that way, and I found myself unpacking boxes to get to stuff I need, I started to feel like I haven't actually started my new year after all. I wanted a "clean" start. Well, it's almost February, and the calendar is certainly not waiting for me to get my sorry rump in gear, now is it?

I just feel like my life is on hold, and the music playing in the background is really starting to bug me. I'm not really a New Years Resolution making kind of gal because I'm not really a New Years Resolution keeping kind of gal either. At least not after the first 36 hours or so. I'm not a great finisher, but I can be a strong starter. That's good, right? *sigh* But I like to have goals as much as the next person. A plan. To be headed in a direction. At this point, any direction would be better than this inertia I seem to be wallowing in.

Maybe I'll make a list. I like lists. Grocery lists, movies I'd like to see, books I want to read, places I'd like to visit, people I should send cards to, things to do...it really doesn't matter what kind. I like them a lot. At least there's a plan. Yeah, I think I'll go make a list... Here it goes.

Top 5 Ways to Get Your Booty Off the Literal or Proverbial Couch and in Gear for the New Year

5. Realize that it's almost February and you have NO IDEA what you want to accomplish during the reamining 11 months...and counting.

4. Remember that your teeniest one, the very last one ever, will celebrate his first birthday in two months, and while you are waiting to start living this year, he is growing like gangbusters right in front of you. Time waits for no baby. Or no baby waits for time. Or something like that.

3. Acknowledge that this is the year you officially become the parent of a teenager. goodlordmissagnes! If that doesn't shake the cobwebs loose, what will?

2. Understand that the longer you wait to "start" your new year with all its shiny goodness, the tighter your jeans become. In theory of course.

1. Hear your two year old (who is supposed to be potty training) run through the house screaming, "DOOOONNNN'TTTT SMEEEELLLLL MEEEEEE!"

Ok! Ok! I'm up! Happy New Year!

9 comments:

kirsten said...

at least the "teenager" isn't yelling don't smell me. i should be yelling that...with no shower and plenty of cleaning to do. my perfume is "lysol"....isn't that romantic.

Karen said...

Too funny:-) It was great talking to ya today too. Hope you guys get moved in and settled very soon. I know your new home will be beautiful once you guys are done with it! Miss ya.

Misty said...

I'm so glad your back. I was getting worried. Although, I did assume you guys were in the middle of a move. It took me a few weeks to get back in the groove this year. What's the deal? I'm with you, lets just start it all over. Love ya!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Sometimes we just get in ruts, don't we? We just think life is missing us when we are MISSING LIFE. Just focus on Your Maker and you will always feel new and like every day is a do-over if we need it to be. But, of course, you know that.
KEEP BELIEVING

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! That's awesome! - especially #1...He'll be embarassed of that one later :) haha!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

And here I was feeling as though January was NEVER going to end. Too bad we couldn't trade feelings!

Hope your February is better than your January!

-Andrea

Angi said...

Your list was awesome - good words for us all. Life goes on, whether I'm "with it" or not. Might as well get on and ride. Sometimes it's easier said then done though!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Bronie I am so glad you are back! I also cant believe it is February!! Hope this year is a good one!

Michelle said...

Oh Bronie, I so feel your pain! Teenager mom here, AND she is now a "woman"....deal with THAT ......if we were playing poker, I just trumped you! lol. Sorry I haven't checked in lately, sort of hectic here. Missed your blog posts though! I promise I will be more attentive!