Tuesday, February 19, 2008

going though hail and back

So we've been in our new old house for two weeks now as of today, and we've already spent an afternoon huddled in the bathtub. And before you think this is some twisted bathing ritual, let me assure you it is not.

Last Tuesday afternoon, the little boys were taking naps, and the house was unusually quiet, for our family anyway. It had been cloudy and rainy most of the day.

Well.

The sky began to get dark. Really dark. And the huge trees surrounding our house were bending in unnatural ways. Or so I thought.

We did not yet have our satellite tv or internet connected, so I called Jay at work to have him check the weather for us. His response?

"Yeah, it's a little stormy here right now."

Well, what with him being in another STATE and all, I politely requested that he check OUR weather and check it NOW!

I hear him click-click-clicking in the background, and then he says...

"Oh, yeah, there's a tornado warning for you guys, blah blah blah..."

I frankly don't remember the rest, but I think I yelled, "I GOTTA GO!"

Like clockwork, the phone went dead, and the power went out. Luckily, Wyatt likes to play with the flashlights, so we had one handy. Meanwhile, the wind is whistling through our not-so-tight house, and things are blowing around the yard.

I ran for the baby who sleeps in our room and sent Ryan after Wyatt and told them all to get in the bathtub. Needless to say, the little ones were not thrilled at being ripped from sound sleep, so I handed the baby the remainder of his bottle to calm him down and then to his big brother to hold. Emily cuddled with Wyatt to settle him down, and we told him we were playing "boat" for a few minutes, and he could hold the flashlight.

Boat? Why didn't you say so? Instant calm. It's the little things, you know.

I prayed for our safety as calmly as I could and instructed everyone to stay put. I then went to keep an eye out since I had no way of knowing when or where the fun might strike. I know I should have stayed in the interior room with them, but I was only a few steps away, mopping up the growing puddle of water that was blowing in our front door. After a few moments, things seemed to calm down a little, but Jay came home anyway. I guess he thought he might find me sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth with my thumb in my mouth or something. Alas, not, but we spent the next five hours in the dark, the house lit by the few candles I had managed to already unpack.

Then this past Sunday, on our thirty minute drive to church, it began to rain. And then rain hard. And then rain so hard you had to really slow down so you could stay on the road. Then the hail began. Thankfully, it was the pea-sized variety that merely stings when it hits, and not the baseball-sized stuff that can crack your coconut. Or your windshield.

Later that afternoon, because I am who I am, I began to think about that country song and changed the words to suit me. I can do that, right?

When you're goin' through hail,
Keep on movin'- Don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out before your windshield gets a big ole crack.

Yeah, I know.

But we were in fact going through hail.

Then I began to think about our family and friends all over the country, who whenever they hear that we might be relocating, fall promptly to their knees and utter these kinds of prayers in their prayer closets...

Dearest Gawd in Heaven,

If you are really up there,
And I believe you are.
And if you can really hear me,
And I know you can.
Please have mercy on us.
We have heard that they might be moving.
And you know they draw weather calamity unto themselves like lightning to water.
And sometimes unseasonal catastrophe doth stick to them like toilet paper to my shoe.
Please, oh puhleez, dear Gawd,
Leadest thou them not nearest me and mine.
But bless 'em Lord.
Right where they are.

Amen.


For picking up your prayer life? You are welcome.

*Edited to add: No, we are not currently relocating, but in fact, have just relocated. So everyone relax. Except the nice folks in Mississippi.

13 comments:

The growing Adkinson family said...

Girl I cant believe that you had that happen. I know almost 3 weeks ago when bella was only a week old and the weather was telling us to take cover because a Tornado was headed right for us. Talking about being nervous I prayed and David went outside and came back in and said we are going to be fine a tornado is not coming and I asked him since when was he a weather man but then I realized he had gone out to talk to God and so he that is how he knew we were going to be ok. The thing is with our house we have no safe place to go so I thought Ive just had surgery how am i going to try and get in the floor? But God is good. Good to hear from you even though you have had a ruff time.

Scott said...

Good to see you back! Been missing your thoughts on life! Glad all is well and you have a family sized bath tub. did you have to order it special?

Christie said...

I just love you so much girl! I needed to laugh tonight. Thanks for the humor!

Shannon said...

I'm so glad to hear from you again. . . though, I know you must be so very busy with your big move.

I'm glad you and your family were okay, too. I've never liked tornado warnings (who does). I have a few stories of my own, though none as scary as yours. My husband WOULD have found me curled up in a ball and sucking my thumb had I been through some of the things you have!

Anyhow, I hope it gives you some comfort to know that you're being thought of and missed on the blogosphere.

kirsten said...

move here! here here here!!! in with us....come on, you've met my family - it can't be worse than that. besides, the tornado has already hit here. funny thing, it only struck the inside of the house. and, come to think of it, ben loves frogs so we'll have fun with that plague.oh, glad you're back, thought maybe you were having another baby...he-he.

Karen said...

Glad to hear you guys are surviving the weather. Don't they say lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place. I'm thinking it should go for tornados-"Tornados don't strike the same family twice". Feel any safer?:-) We miss ya, but we're glad we're away from that weather.

Good luck unpacking.

BTW glad you're back blogging. We've missed your posts:-)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! that comment is funny about the "family sized bathtub" - haha!!
You always get in weird weather situations - you must have some sort of homing device! haha!!

So wait... you might be relocating again? or did I read that wrong??

Aliciaq said...

Dude, you are killing me! I really, really hope that you have no visits from any freaky weather anytime in the future! Ya'll deserve a break :)

Get some pics up, I would love to see the new digs!

Alicia

Nicole said...

If there is a weather "situation" anywhere near you, it is attracted to you like a huge magnet. I thank the Lord that you are safe, and we can once again laugh at your adventures of grace. I knew I had been praying for you for a reason lately!

Misty Burns said...

hey Bronie, i can not get over you guys!!!! By all means, please do not move closer to me. hehehehe. just kidding. You seem to attract bad weather, BUT i seem to attract every living creature ever created on this big planet. agh! By the way, i have posted a picture of Kaylee's baby (my niece) on my blog. she it too cute. check it out.

Misty said...

Dang girl! Bless your heart! I know your stressin. I'm so glad to hear from you guys. I was begining to worry about you guys and i guess rightfully so. Prayin for some peace and rest. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Girl I love your writing! You make me laugh every time I read your blog! I had my insurance hat on when you said it started hailing and you were driving OH BOY! And just to say - so glad you are living in Mississippi :) Love y'all!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

There is never a dull moment for you guys, is there! You won't have to worry about your kids looking back on their growing up years and wishing that there had been more excitement!

Glad you are all safe, and that "playing boat" pacified the kids! :)