Wednesday, February 20, 2008

old faithful

As you know, we have been in our new old house for a couple of weeks now. We have had some, let's see, 'interesting' things happen since then. I will share one with you now.

I thought we had pretty much covered the laundry thing here and here and here, but sadly we will revisit this beloved subject for hopefully the last time.

On our second day in the house, my helpful and handy husband decides to throw in a load of clothes to get the "catching up" process started. All is well until we hear the unmistakable sound of water hitting the tile floor. He enters the laundry room (conveniently located next to the kitchen with an exterior door leading to Sanford & Son's warehouse the back patio), shuts off the washer and begins sweeping water out the door with a broom. Then, perplexed as to why the washer is not draining properly, but not immediately interested in actually resolving the issue, he proceeds to remove the washer hose from the pipe and holds it out the door while it shoots water and bubbles in an impressive arc onto the patio and into the grass. What with the Y-chromosome and all, he is pretty darn proud of himself about now, you know, what with figuring out how to overcome the laundry obSTACle and all.

Laundry has once again become the bane of my existence as I can no longer just throw in a load of clothes to wash and go on my merry multi-tasking way, but must babysit the washer in the following manner:

HOSE UP while the washer fills with water and throughout the first cleansing cycle.

HOSE OUT during the drain and spin process.

HOSE UP while the washer fills with water for the rinse cycle.

HOSE OUT during the final drain and spin.

Did I mention I had to turn the washer around backwards so the hose will reach out the door? Well, yes, I did. Ridiculous, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be better for Jay to just unclog the drain, you ask?

Why yes, yes it would.

But that would just be too easy. And easy? That is NOT how we do things around here, thankyouverymuch. Besides, in Jay's opinion, that would totally eliminate the excitement of the near-misses when you dare leave the washer's side and become involved in another activity while THE WASHER is in fact WASHING. During such a poor lack of judgment, bad things can happen...



like...



A geyser-sized spray of water can and will hose down the entire laundry room, including the stack of clean, neatly folded, but not yet put away pile of clothes on top of the dryer.

Hearing the "click" that the washer makes during the 1.8 second span between cycles can and will cause you to hurtle over large pieces of furniture and small children in slow-mo style while bellowing "THEEE BUUUTTTOOONNN!!! HIITTT THEEEE BUUUTTTOOONNN!!!" in an attempt to get that blasted hose out the door before "Old Faithful" blows again.

But the up-side? Is there one, you ask?

Always. Perhaps two.

First, I have gotten to know my washer in ways I never thought possible, not to mention necessary. I now know its inner-workings and sounds better than I think is healthy. I can now distinguish an "I'm going to jiggle your clothes clean" sound from the more ominous "I'm about to throw up all over your laundry room again" sound with the greatest of ease. We have spent immeasurable amounts of time together during the last two weeks and are now intimately bonded. Enough so, I'm thinking he it owes me dinner.

AND you could eat off my laundry room floor. It is, by far, the cleanest surface in the house.

14 comments:

Misty said...

oh my gosh girl, your killing me. I just thought the last couple of weeks have been bad here but I think you have me beat, hands down. Maybe Jay should be in charge of the laundry, huh? Something tells me it would get fixed pretty darn fast??? Just a thought. :) Hang in there girl! I wish I was there to help you out. Or at least do some laundry for ya. :)

Shawna said...

Oh my gosh!!! What an adventure!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I think my parents have an old washboard and wring-through in the shed. Want it? Sounds like it would be less hassle than your current conditions.
KEEP BELIEVING

Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy oh boy - tell that man to unclog that drain! Wait until I see him on Sunday LOL!

Tracy D said...

Too funny, Bronie! I am so glad you are back in Mississippi. I feel so much better just knowing that you are in the same state with me :) Even though Picayune is no the way to NOWHERE!

Well, envy has overtaken (ha ha) and I now have a blog of my own http://www.mydeerlife.blogspot.com.

Warning - it is very new!

See ya soon (I promise!),
Tracy

kirsten said...

that's almost as good as this other story i heard of - it involves a truck and a piano...oh, you heard that one already?

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! You're quite the story-teller! You make your Washing Machine situation sound like fun! haha!! You really should write a book!

Sam said...

You are up to the task of wonderful word pictures and multi tasking it seems. Has Jay tried a drain snake in the drain yet? I know I know........

Shannon said...

The way you describe the everyday ordinary life of a mom is extraordinary! I'm feeling your frustration, though~ here's to looking forward to the day that you don't know your washer so intimately!!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh Bronie... only you could make something so dastardly seem so hilarious and almost fun. But I do not envy you.. no I do not.

Amanda said...

I really think with as much grief comes with old houses and as much diaper changing comes with kids, the universe ought to protect those of us with both from laundry and plumbing disasters...roof leaks? Fine. Drafty walls and windows? You bet. But don't mess with my washer or make me sponge waste line rejection from my floors.

jim said...

The Victoryeees will persevere in Picayune, come hail or high water!!!

Connie

Tracy D said...

So Bronie, I heard a rumor that Jay went to the hardware store. Is it true?!?

PS - You know you are from (or have ever lived in) a small town when people 2 hours away know that your husband went to the hardware store.

Michelle said...

Oh dear.

My kids moved the dryer and unhooked the hose from the back and I have had to trap two mice.........


But yours is so much more painful (and funnier)!