Friday, November 16, 2007

spin this

Ok. So today I washed what I swear must be the four-hundred-and-thirty-seventh load of laundry for what feels like the tenth day this week...and what do I find? Paper...washed, dried, and now shredded into a bazillion tiny pieces that cascade out of the dryer when I open it. The rest of the statically charged pieces are stuck to every other piece of freshly laundered clothing. ARGH! I just grumble to myself and continue unloading the dryer. What else do I find? A pocket knife, hair ribbon, ponytail holder, action figure, faded receipts and money. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! Well, at least it wasn't the ENTIRE WALLET this time!

I'VE HAD IT! I've washed jeans that somehow have one leg normal and the other inside-out. How do you do it? Am I living with contortionists? Socks wadded into a ball, one packed tightly inside the other. Do we not supply you little people with enough toys? Must you make baseballs out of your dirty socks? Shirts with one arm dangling and the other one mysteriously tucked inside. Am I missing something? Are you trying to make me crazy? And now a plethora of the most random things comes tumbling out of the dryer!

THIS IS IT! CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED! From this day forward, you bring it down, I'll wash it. Pretty simple, eh? I WILL NOT, however: empty your pockets, turn your socks right-side-out or your shirts or boxers or jeans or tighty-whities or whatever else you seem to mangle while placing in the laundry basket. I spend what amounts to an entire wash cycle detangling, turning around, shaking out, and otherwise "preparing" clothes to be washed. NO MORE! My clothes somehow seem to make it to the laundry just fine. What's wrong with the rest of you, I humbly ask? Is it so hard to check your pockets? Is it too difficult to place your garments right side out in the basket? This is not brain-surgery people!

AND ANOTHER THING...finders keepers. If I find anything of value that I wish to keep that you have carelessly left in your pockets, I will consider it your generous tip to the laundress who daily scales Mt. Washmore on your behalf. Thank you in advance for your undoubted contribution to my cause.

8 comments:

alicia said...

All I can say is "AMEN SISTER!!!!"

I mean seriously...

Sam said...

Love it! Ingenious way to cut down on work and get a salary increase at the same time!!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yeah!! I didn't realize you had a blog!!!!!! FUN!!
That was a funny post! I love it!!

Adam SheF said...

HAHA! Tell me when you solve the mystery of the missing sock. Great blog post!

Scott said...

OK, Beth says Thank You! You see, I do all the laundry, and unfortunatly, I wash it just like it is! The main reason I do laundry is because my shirts, pants, and socks all resemble what you are going through. So, my punishment is to do laundry...I;ve been doing it now for the last 8 years. Wonder if I will ever learn? Say Hi to Jay for me!

Christie said...

My Aunt used to save up the money that she found in the laundry and get something for herself every month (like a manicure). She figured that it was her tip for being the laundress!

Karen said...

Sounds familiar:-) Did ya ever sit and add up that you wash 35 pairs of pants, 42 pairs of socks, 35 shirts, and 7 precious baby outfits EVERY WEEK. That's only if everyone just wears one outfit a day. Kinda puts it in perspective. No wonder I hate to do laundry... there's just too much.

Miss you guys. Happy Thanksgiving. I wish I could be there for your yummy sweet potato casserole.

The growing Adkinson family said...

That is so funny we always have that debate david says its MY JOB to empty HIS pockets haha yeah right that is why we have a million little nails and screws that he leaves in his pocket sometimes like last week I didnt even do his laundry and he had four loads to do all by himself. :) And another funny one is James Linda's hubby thinks the same thing and he left his cell phone in his pants and she washed his phone. Maybe one day they will learn yeah right huh?