Saturday, May 24, 2008

just another perk

Well, the longer we live in the holla, the more I realize that its benefits just keep on givin'.


*Water from the well that goes away with any power outage due to the pump being powered by electricity.


*Poison ivy whose vines are large enough to swing from Tarzan-style.


*Redneck laundry.


*Creepy uber-poisonous spiders that appear out of nowhere.


*Wood roaches that sneak in when you're not looking (probably while doing redneck laundry) that considering their size could be claimed on our taxes.


*Swarm-like masses of gnats that would rival the plague.



And just this week, a new benefit.



*Reverse mail delivery.


Yeah. This is a good one.


You see, I am accustomed to delivery trucks whose drivers pull up and politely "beep beep" just to let you know they are making their way to your door with a package. That way if you're home, they will kindly place it inside the door for you. Nice guys they are.


But this week I heard a "beep beep" and while I was peeling a toddler off my leg and lugging the chubby bubby on my hip, I heard a "BEEEEP BEEEEP!!!!"


Hmmm. I thought to myself. I wonder who that could be.


So I opened the door to see our mail carrier stopped in front of our house with the window of the pick-up truck rolled down. You see, in the holla, we don't get the usual mail "jeep" but a pick-up truck.


Anyway, I smiled and waved and said, "Good Afternoon!"


"I've got a package for you," she replied flatly.


So I looked at her.


And she continued to look at me.


And I looked at her.


And she looked at me. Not blinking. Not even a twitch to indicate that she might actually get out of her vehicle to bring me my mail.


I was beginning to wonder if this was the start of a stand-off on our little lane in the holla. Should I hold her eye? Should I wait her out?


Beginning to feel like an idiot, my "be nice at all most costs" illness began to kick in, and I caved.


So I said, "I'll get my shoes?" Yes, that was a question.


To which she replied, "M'kay." And pretended to do something in her truck.


All the while, I'm thinking...


We have one of these.




















And normally when I am looking for my mail, I can find it in my...





















But perhaps, my "package" won't fit. But still, don't they usually bring your mail to the door? Never in all my born days have I had to GO GET IT unless they left me a little note to pick something up at the post office which is reasonable and customary.


Realizing she was not going to budge, I quickly slipped on some shoes (so SHE would not have to wait... *cough* *cough* dang illness.) and went to the mail truck to retrieve my mail.


I thanked her, though I'm not sure for what, and she peeled away, slinging a little gravel, and went on her mail-delivering way.


Hmph.


At least she doesn't drive by at a high rate of speed and fling it all out in the yard like the mail-carrying maniac in the movie "Funny Farm." Y'all remember that?


Maybe next time we'll have a stand-off.


Heh. Who am I kidding? I'll probably have to make the rest of her deliveries.


*cough* *cough*

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way...I cannot believe that she did that. She should of gotten off her rump and brought it to you. What is it with customer service, oh wait, I forgot, she is a government worker. Oh those were the days when the government was actually FOR the people!!!

I tell you, you should write a book!!

Anonymous said...

Be careful - she might just go postal on you!

Karen said...

Would it have fit in your box? I have two words for her....How rude! I would have sent Wyatt to get it:-)

Kristy said...

I can't believe it! I wouldn't suggest you complain, because about 3 years ago, the mail lady forgot to take out a bill that was due like the NEXT day or so, and she has yet to be nice to me!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

What would have happened if you hadn't been home???

It's all about the service, baby. ;)

Hope you can find something to get rid of that terrible cough....

-Andrea

Misty Burns said...

yeah, the hits just keep on coming. hahaha. i feel your pain (small town and all)we totally need to get together soon.

Nicole said...

That's amazing! I can't believe she did that. At least you were dressed, right?!

Michelle said...

She was a Yankee mail carrier, not used to us rednecks......give er time, she'll learn.

Bless her heart, she just didn't understand.

Shannon said...

Your attitude about things is something I could learn from. Oh, and your *cough* illness. . . I think I caught it, too. The only bad thing about this particular 'disease to please' is that it mysteriously disappears around my husband and children, but reappears spontaneously around complete strangers. Hmmm. . .
Thanks for the laughs ( :

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha nice :) Some days it sounds like you live over here... (we have to pump our water with electricity too and it goes out all the time!!)... Great story that cracks me up...
Adam's step-mom is a rual carrier (she uses her own car)... she has some interesting stories :) haha!
I like Holla stories :)

RichFam said...

I could sit and listen to "holla" stories all day long! Very entertaining! Better than Primetime TV! :o)

--Michelle Richardson <><
jaynchell2u@aol.com