Saturday, July 19, 2008

where a kid can be a kid...heh

This summer, Thursdays have become "play dates" for some of the moms and kids at church. This past Thursday morning, we met at Chuck E. Cheese for a couple of hours. Since we had tokens left over from this party or that, I told the kids we would go and play for a while and then come home for lunch.


I'm not as big a cheap skate as you may think. You see, the last time we met there, I ordered pizza and drinks and had a terrible time getting them to stop playing long enough to eat a bite or two. Lesson learned. Besides, I wasn't hungry.


Anyway, W loves this place, and Emily can usually busy herself as long as the tokens are flowing freely. Elijah? He's another matter entirely. On our last visit, he sat happily in the stroller and watched the chaos from a safe distance. The entire time! He is the only one who ate enough pizza to call it lunch. And I actually carried on a grown-up conversation with some friends for more than thirty seconds. You can call that success, my friends.


I guess I felt a little guilty about his sitting for so long, although he was quite content, so this time I didn't even put the stroller in the van. I determined that I would be more attentive and participatory in this supposed fun that is Chuck E. Cheese.


Heh.


Elijah was completely overwhelmed. He stuck to me like static cling for the duration of our visit. He stood on his own feet for maybe five minutes of the hour-and-a-half that we were there. Good times.


"Wanna sit here and ride?"


"AAAAAHHHHH! NAH NAH NAH!"


"Wanna have your picture made?"


"EEEEKKKK! NAH NAH NAH!"


"Wanna ride Mama's hip?"


"Wheeeeee!"


I did manage to chat a little with some other moms while he was either on my lap or perched atop my hip clinging madly to my shirt. After an hour or so, I had enjoyed all the fun I could manage for one day and decided to round up W and Emily and try to escape leave.


W was riding the "roller coaster" so my new appendage and I stood beside him and waited for the ride to come to a complete stop. While standing there, a familiar though noxious odor, began to waft toward my nostrils. Assuming it was Elijah and since we were trying to leave, I just figured I would change him in the van before loading up.


I managed to wrangle W off the coaster, with the baby still on my hip, after threatening his very life calmly telling him that if he left nicely we would come back, but if he continued to scream at me, he would be old enough to work here before I would ever bring him back. And maybe holding a little tightly to his arm.


That aroma I mentioned was beginning to make my eyes water, so I knew we had to flee.


We managed to get past the lady at the door who checks the little stampy things on our arms. By the way, is this to make sure we don't take someone else's kids home? Puh-leez, she needs to make sure everybody takes their own kids home. I personally think they've got it all wrong. But she was very thorough, God love her.


We finally made it out the door and headed to the van for a diaper change.


"Elijah, do you have poops?"


manic back-and-forth shaking of the baby noggin


They lie you know. All of 'em. They can't be trusted.


We reached the van, and I checked him. He wasn't lying. It wasn't him. That could only mean one thing.


IT'S THE THREE-YEAR-OLD! Who is supposed to be potty-training!


AAARRRGH!


"Wyatt, did you poop in your pull-up?!"


"NO!!! I NOT!!!"


"Well, you stink! If you didn't poop in it, who did?!"


"Emma-wee!"


...counting to ten...by fives...


I laid him across the seat which by the way was not meant for diaper changes of any size child, let alone a sprawling three-year-old. Since some of you are not yet parents or have already done your doody duty in this area, I will try to spare you all the gory details. Let me just say...


KABOOM!


This kid exploded in his pull-up. And out of it. Up his back and into his shirt. So much for gravity. Anyway, I used EVERY wipe I had, and he had to ride home in just a diaper.


W expressed his indignation over the donning of the diaper by screaming things like...


"I NOT A BABY! I A BIG BOY!"


...for the entire ride home.


Jay happened to be home this day, and eyed me curiously with what appeared to be a slight smirk, as his son emerged from the van: sockless, shoeless, shirtless, pantless and teary-eyed with me hot on his trail instructing him to go straight to the tub. NOW!


"Have a good time?"


I'm pretty sure I lasered the look of death in his direction as I entered the house.


I can't help but think that this day has forever changed that little ditty they use on the commercials. At least for our family. You know the one...Chuck E. Cheese's, where a kid can be a kid!"


For us it was more like Howdy Doody time.


Just sayin'.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your stories are priceless!!! It's never ending around your neck of the woods!

RichFam said...

I love it! I love it! I love it!

I am in tears...partly because I relate to this story so well, and partly because I know all too well about that 3-year-old smell (it is a completely new olfactory experience once they turn 3). Whew!

Thanks for talking me down from the ledge, though. Jay and I have been thinking of taking our kids to CEC "just to play"... HA! yeah, right.

Guess it's back to playing in the rain for us! Ha ha ha. :o)

kirsten said...

the best part...that he tried to blame emily...and he honestly thought you'd think "hey...yeh, emily"

just thankful you didn't tie him to the bumper for the ride home.

Kristy said...

That is so funny. Poor Bronie, now I wish I had stayed longer, and would have been able to help you - maybe not, but I could have given you some extra wipes - since my 3 yr. old is not potty trained yet! I know, sometimes it's easier just to stay home.

Karen said...

Too funny:-) I can so see that happening. Who wants to stop playing to take care of business?:-)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Oh joy, the things I look forward to...oh wait I do this with my preschoolers already!! LOL Sooooo gross, but what do you do??! Its gotta be cleaned!! I love how you tell stories, so funny and entertaining!!

P.S. Just wait till I have to clean a poopy pair of undies with my heightened sense of smell...I think I will be pawning this off to my assistant this next year!

Rachel said...

Bronie, I know the feeln'! Just to think that one day you will look back and laugh at ALL of this!

Bridgett said...

Ewe Gross!

At least it stayed in his clothes. We had an accident similar to that at a McDonalds playground but it leaked out of the clothes (she was in big girl undies) and got all in the big climbing tube. We offered to go in and clean it ourselves but the employee went in and cleaned it up. Boy I felt sorry for him.

Misty Burns said...

that is hilarious. you poor thing. i have been there and done that!!! just think i have one more to go! agh!!!

Michelle said...

Bronie,

Just a short note to let you know how much my rock your comments have been for me.

Between you and Nancy and Pam and Did.....

I have smiled through tears. You are such an amazing human.

Thank you. I know I haven't been the most available, but we are starting on the healing path (the girls and I)....without you guys, it would have been much harder.

You guys rock my world. In a really good way!

Misty said...

Boys! Will be boys! No time for that, mom! I just assume be shot then taken to Chuck E Cheese. Although, if you go when they first open and no one is there but your family, it can be nice. You just let them loose, Whoo Hoooo. In all reality we've only experienced the one time. But it was quite the joy! I feel your pain!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Judah did the explosion in the pull-up the other night... for Daniel. I made myself all kinds of scarce for that one. But, I did hear lots of stomping up and down the stars, mild oaths, and plenty of "BOY! This is DISGUSTING!!!"

Funny stuff. You know I deal with it enough during the day that I felt NO guilt during this seemly traumatic time for my husband. Not to mention my son. :)

I've never taken my kids to Chuck E. Cheese. Should I feel guilty?

-Andrea