Friday, December 21, 2007

It's Christmas at Our House

Yep. You read right. It's Christmas at our house today. Why, you ask?

Well, because:

1. We travel eight hours to go out of town every year because we are insane love our relatives, all 406 of them. That's a rough estimate only.

2. They won't come here.

3. Our family keeps growing has STOPPED growing but is large enough to merit help from a bonified moving company to transport all our crap belongings, and that's without transporting gifts for our own kids that they will rip open in .08 seconds and that we'll have to keep up with for the next 6 days before transporting them and a whole new menagerie of presents and sundry loot back home again.

*Sigh*

I dread the drive even though I am looking forward to spending time with our family who we don't get to see very often. But I just wish something were different. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's that I wish our kids were more grateful. Maybe I wish we could stay home. I don't know. Maybe I just need a nap. Honestly? I just think that in the midst of all the chaos, we are losing sight of what Christmas is all about in the first place. I don't want Christmas to be about the latest, greatest whatchamacallit. I want it to be about family, creating memories, and most importantly this:

God's Divine Promise

It happened, oh, so long ago,
One cold and starry night,
A special child named Jesus
Was born to bring us light,
Great joy and understanding
And profound faith in Him--
The Savior God had promised
To cleanse away our sin.
He changed the world forever
With messages divine,
With hope for all believers
And love for all mankind.
His words are filled with promise
Of the glory yet to be
The day we enter Heaven
And find eternity.

Vi B. Chevalier


Ok. So now that we've been reminded what's important, I'll leave you with this.

I'd like to share with you a little buyer's remorse, if I may. My son received a game this morning that was on his list. Rated E-you know...for Everyone! Purchased by my husband. *smiling* I'll give you the short version. It's about these crazy rabbits. Yeah. "Raving Rabbids." One activity involves "anesthetizing" (I know--Big word for stupid game) crazed bunnies by hitting them with sausages until they fall asleep. Another called F@rt Wars, in which you race your opponent with a colored stream of gas shooting from your rear end. I know! Why, oh why? Did I mention my husband bought this game? Still another which calls itself "Chess" and instructs you to concentrate by holding the controller and nunchuck beside your head. That's it. That's how you win! Oh yeah, and there's "Timber!" where you move the controller back and forth in a sawing motion in an attempt to saw off the limb on which you are standing.

Yeah.

Do you feel dumber yet? I am normally completely impressed with the whole computer/gaming programming industry...programming of any kind really. These guys are so way smarter than I am. I struggle with basic HTML to be perfectly honest. That being said, whoever came up with this concept had to be either completely *shnockered* after a night at the frat house or smoking crack. I really do not see any alternatives here. I am not dissing programmers here, people. I'm talking concept. CONCEPT. Some poor schmo had to turn this idea into a real live game. God love him.

Oh, enough. Here are some pictures. I was really just wanting to say I'll be away for a while for the holiday and the move, and there will be plenty of junk great new material to read in January. Please check back then or keep coming back and reading the old stuff. Your choice. Leave me a comment so I'll know you are still out there.



Everyone's pile'o'stuff.



Everyone else's pile'o'stuff.



"I wish I had aaaa...PONY!"



"Yay! A cute picture frame!"



"Smile Rufus! What's that?"



The mama and the teething, feverish, grumpy, but very cute baby.


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all ten of you who visit.

PS There's something new coming after the first of the year. Can't tell ya. No, I can't. You'll have to wait.

15 comments:

Misty said...

I hope you guys have a safe and fun Christmas. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you guys after you moved and all. We got your Christmas card today. I love it! That is so great. We miss you guys and love ya! Merry Christmas! Ps. Don't tell me your pregnant!!! he he he.... Can't wait to hear the big news.... Surely not!!!

Christie said...

I'm with her. I will laugh with glee if you're pregnant (the world needs more Victory babies, since they're so great anyway!). I understand the traveling thing. I'm considering doing Christmas a day early here so that the kiddos can play for 24 hours (we leave Christmas day) and then leave the stuff here. Am I a mean mom? Oh well. Maybe therapy will help me, I mean them. Merry Christmas!

kirsten said...

another BABY!!! perfect....we wanted another child but if you can have it for us that would be better.

Jen said...

he he he...I'm laughing at Misty's comment. She's funny...'cause I can't imagine anything else more fun!

Where are you guys going for Christmas?

Karen said...

Have a safe trip. Are you stuck in the middle again?:-) Merry Christmas!!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Have a great time with all your 406 family members... Sounds like a loud, laughter-filled, fun get-together!

You know, about the computer game - not only did someone think up the "concept", someone said "Hey, now that's a great idea! Let's market it!" :) Silly people!

Have a Merry Christmas - looking forward to reading about all your fun!

-Andrea

Shannon said...

I enjoy reading your blog and know why Alicia likes you so much. You are so funny and down to earth- stuff I'm positive you've heard a million times.

Christmas will be special wherever you go and however you celebrate because you carry Jesus with you wherever you are. Your husband and children are blessed by your desire to want to make things more Christ-centered.

By the way, I'm extremely impressed that your gifts are wrapped and you look so nice in your picture. Neither are true for me at this moment ( :

Anonymous said...

Have a great Christmas!! I will miss your humor!! I have a post for you on my blog.

Safe travels. Enjoy your family!!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Looks like you all had fun! Have a safe trip traveling!!! Merry Christmas!

JB Mall Enterprises said...

Good luck with your move. Merry Christmas,
Briggie

ps - Tag you're it! http://jehovahroi.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/ive-been-carded-meme/

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I have a family of 406 (approx) as well. I don't remember spending a Christmas day at home growing up. Now that I have kids of my own, every other year, I spend Christmas Eve and Day at home. I will tell you, too, that it never made a smidge of difference what the calendar said. It was Christmas when Mom and Dad said so. Even Santa knew when we had to go out of town and made special arrangements. Made sense then. Makes sense to my kids every other year. Good travels to ya. Blessings and KEEP BELIEVING!

Maria said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun presents to open! Have a Merry Christmas!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

SURPRISE??? OK, so you're moving...does that mean it's "that" kind of surprise??
I love surprises :) FUN! I can't wait to hear it :)
That's a fun post :) Glad you had a fun christmas :) Those video games crack me up!

Sam said...

Bronie, thanks for the trip and all the effort you guys put in to come to Tennesse for Christmas! I want you to know how much we all appreciate you guys!! Thanks for the visit..now it's our turn..

Nicole said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and safe traveling!

Been there done that! We are thankful to God we are closer to family for the moment!