Saturday, December 8, 2007

it's time to change my pants

O.K. So I'm driving on the interstate this morning on my way to work on our never gonna be ready to move in next week no matter what we do to it, latest money-pit, lovely brick home with loads of potential.

I'm jamming to some Christmas tunes on the radio, enjoying the quiet of my van because I am alone. I'm almost giddy because I'm rarely alone. Being alone sounds sad and lonely, but when you have four children, being alone has nearly the same effect as eating large amounts of chocolate that you don't have to share or spending a day at the spa. Let me say it again while I bask in the beauty of the words themselves...I'm alone! Eeeek! Fantastic!

I hired a babysitter for the day in order to actually get some work done which inevitably includes running to our neighborhood home improvement type store for "stuff" and being the lunch-getting person to feed our friends who come and volunteer their time because they feel sorry for us, are biding their time until they can find better friends, they love us and just want us to finally settle. Somewhere. For the love of God and all things holy, could you just get somewhere and stay a while, they plead? But I digress.

So I'm driving on the interstate and notice a blue truck up ahead, pulled rather far off the shoulder of the road in a semi-gully. Hmm. Wonder what he's doing down there.

Well.

As I get closer, I see that he is changing his clothes. His pants to be specific. Right there on MY side of his blue truck. The side where all the cars with PEOPLE in them are whizzing by.

After I realize I've just been half-mooned by some stranger wearing tighty-whities, I begin to laugh. Out loud. For a long time. I am once again glad I'm alone. I begin to think about why someone would choose to change their pants on the side of the road because that's just the kind of gal I am. And I continue to laugh. Why? Because y'all, it's just funny.

I wonder why Mr. Gottachangemypantsrightnow has decided to take his clothes off on the side of the road for passersby to see. Has he spilled some boiling hot McCoffee on his lap? Does he suffer from incontinence, poor thing? Perhaps unbeknownst to Mr. Gottachangemypantsrightnow, a family of ants have moved into his truck and are marching up his leg in search of a new place to conquer and call home, and Mr. Gottachangemypantsrightnow in an effort to save himself, has decided these pants have got to go. Right this instant! Or maybe he's fashion conscious and just realized that his pants just don't go with his shirt. I just wonder why, that's all.

Well, I guess I'll never know for sure. But if I may, I'd like to offer a small bit of advice to Mr. Gottachangemypantsrightnow or anyone else thinking of whipping off the side of the road for a wardrobe change.

1. Kindly step around to the side of the vehicle NOT facing all the known world.

or


2. Invest in a snazzy pair of boxers.


Thank you. That's all.

12 comments:

Tara R. said...

I was driving the back roads one afternoon, going to a little artist community near my home.. way off the beaten path. Drove by one ramshackle house, homeowner standing in the yard waving at passing cars... totally neck-id... bare as the day he was born... except for the baseball hat. Tighty-whities would have been an improvement.

Bronie said...

hahaha can you say deliverance? guess i should be grateful! :)

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Can't say as I have ever had anything remotely like this happen to me and I am eternally grateful.

Absolutely hilarious.... but somewhat disturbing at the same time. :)

Yay for alone time!!!

-Andrea

Anonymous said...

Boxers with hearts!!!!

Tell me Bronie, has Slidell rebuilt and is it getting help to rebuild?? I was at the Baptist church, the last one before going over the bridge where the relief tents were, two weeks after Katrina. It was a great blessing to me...Just needed an update!

Bronie said...

hey miss paula. it's really coming along, but it's amazing (and sad) that there are still some places that remain untouched over two years later.

all in all, people seem to have returned to what we call the "new normal."

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Yeah, boxers with hearts would be funny :) That was a funny post :) haha! You definitely have a way with words... you should totally write a book!

Misty said...

Okay, i'm like really jelous of your alone time. But i'm trying not to be bitter about it. But i can totally understand your excitement. Maybe it was God's funny sense of humor that just said, Bronie needs a good laugh. I love it. Hope all is coming along in your new house. Can't wait to see pictures... HInt hint Wish I was there to help or at least keep the kids for ya. Love ya lots...

kirsten said...

honestly...i thought you were going to say "and sure enough, it was Jay". seriously, wouldn't have surprised me at all.

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

This is just too funny!!! Thanks for sharing this....it made me laugh too!!!

Shawna said...

I wonder if anyone honked at him! I can't believe he did that!!!

Wil's Wheels said...

How funny! I might have stopped, let down the window and asked "why?"

The alone thing...heaven. My 4 day hospital stay really wasn't that bad...alone...people actually waiting on me hand and foot...hmmmm...hospital...

Angi said...

Ugggghhhh! I can't get the mental picture out of my head!!!