Tuesday, April 1, 2008

who knew 'dis is what he gonna did?

Our older kids were born in Tennessee, but the younger two boys were both born in Louisiana...which is why we sometimes lovingly refer to them as Boudreaux and Thibodeaux.

That's BOO-drow and TIBBA-doe...for you Cajun-impaired.

But I'll get back to that in a minute.

Well, we had some family come visit over the Easter weekend, and what do you do when company comes a-callin'? You have a "boil." Obviously. Or actually, a "burl." I don't know. That's just what they call it. Maybe one day I'll do a post of Louisiana sayin's.

Anyway, what with it being Easter weekend and all, we could not find any live crawfish, only the already-boiled variety because apparently nothing says HALLELUJAH! HE IS RISEN! like throwing live mud bugs into a huge vat of burlin' water while they try to crawl out of the pot and bite you on the foot...and then callin' it dinner. So we bought some shrimp to boil instead.

Back to Boudreaux. Now all our kids adapted quickly to the eatin' of the crawfish even as little peeps, but the peelin'...well, that can be difficult. But we decided it was time for Boudreaux to learn because, as an experienced peeler, you can spend your entire meal peelin' and never get to eat because the little ones will pop 'em in their mouth as soon as you've peeled 'em, and quite frankly, it's hard to keep up.

Side note: There are several schools of thought concerning the peelin' and eatin'. I've seen the one at a time folks who peel and pop, peel and pop. Then there are those who suck the heads...and honestly? Please don't sit by me if you do that. 'Nuff said. Then there are those who patiently peel and peel and peel until they have a nice little pile and then go after 'em. You gotta admire that kind of delayed gratification, don't ya? But you have to develop your own style once you know how.

Today was Boudreaux's day. It was time to learn how to peel one. So he carefully chose one.

Ok...this one looks tasty.




Then "Papa Jim" showed him how to peel it like a man.




Mmmm. That's some fine eats.




Then what does he do?


He promptly sticks his finger in his eye...hot spice and all...


Oh Lordy, who knew 'dis is what he gonna did?


...and comes running into the house with "Aunt Connie" screaming, "My eye! My eye!" Though dramatic, she was actually fine, but the boy did need a little flushin' with the cold water.


Boudreaux was fine and lived to peel another day. I guess the whole "don't put your finger in your eye" thing will need to be added to the instructions when Thibodeaux gets a little bigger.



Anyway, here's the end result of a "burl." You just throw down some newspapers. But not just any newspapers. It doesn't matter if they are dated November 14, 2005, and have been riding in Connie's car. Let's be clear. She MUST HAVE READ THEM. Anyway, once we find some already-read papers, we just pour it all out on the table. Because we're fancy.




Cousin Marlana and Uncle Joey.




Cousin George caught 'im one.




Papa Jim and Aunt Kim.




Cousin Marlana with a big 'un.




So should any of you ever come visit, chances are there's a burl in your future.


But don't worry.


If you're a wuss, we also have a grill.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by!!

That sure is Louisian Food!! I had authentic LA food when I was there. Homemade Pecan Pralines were the best!

kirsten said...

cousin george looks pretty smart...or it may just be the hat.

jim said...

Hey! I HAD to run Boudreaux into the house with his blinded eye! I couldn't risk another childhood story on his future blog starting out with "Well, me and Aunt Connie was peeling us sum crawfish and I rubbed my eye and she said 'oh just go in the bathroom and wash it out' but how was I to know I would run into the side of the house SINCE I COULDN'T SEE!"

(a la Sharon & her hairspray posting)

As for the newspapers...you're very bad! (and accurate)

Connie

Kristy said...

You never fail to crack me up! Being born and raised here, I know all too much about the "Burls"!

Misty Burns said...

yeah, what's the deal with crawfish at easter? always a big deal here as well. You will not want Elijah by you during a boil..someone taught him to suck the heads.GROSS!! and like he tells me. "momma that is where the juice is at" oh well, at least he can finally peel his own.

alicia said...

That looks like such a great time - gotta love them burls! LOL!!! This makes me kind of (very little kind of) miss Louisianna, sort of :)

So good to see Connie and Jim! Tell them I said hey!

Alicia

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!! Poor little W though - "my eye my eye"

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha!!!
Great post :) Great memories to haha!! I need to put some "earl" in my car... wrap that in some tin"ferl" ...

Great post ;)
I love that you call your boys Boudreaux and Thibodeaux - haha!!

Anonymous said...

Found your blog on Miss Paula's blog. I love to eat boiled crawfish and shrimp, loved reading your blog I will have to come back and visit again soon.

Misty said...

Looks like a good time!

Shannon said...

I've never tried a southern boil. Though I've seen Paula Deen make one on the Food Network. I'd be fine with shrimp, but I'm not sure I could get past the look of the crawfish. And, um, I'm totally with you on the 'please don't sit by me if you're going to slurp the heads' thing. But, it does sound like a fun thing to do!

Shawna said...

That's great! I live in TN, so have never experienced a "burl." Poor Boudreaux! Hope that experience won't keep him from another burl!!

RichFam said...

I know it is weird that I am commenting on such an old post, but when I read it, I just had to!

I think the very last time we saw you all we were at your house "enjoying" a burl.

That is one experience that I will not soon forget (plus, it comes up in funny conversations over here now and then). Jay loved it and can't say enough about it. Weird man.

I think I will stick with the grill, though... (turns out, I am actually severely allergic to shellfish!)

Who knew? :o)

--Michelle <><